Monday 9 March 2020

W/C 2nd March 2020

 

Monday 2nd March

Dembe and I had a very quiet day today as we were both shattered after helping dad with the decorating last week. I am sure Jay went back to work for a rest. I was so knackered I went up to bed for a nap at 2pm and slept until 4.30pm.

Dembe was so good and got straight back into the routine of Jay being in work. He is quite like Mollie in that he knows the difference between his dad in his work uniform and dad in his civvies and what it means.

I took a couple of good photos on Sunday.

Tuesday 3rd March

Dembe was taken up the common by Jay nice and early. They went to the model airfield where they met an elderly chocolate Labrador. The old boy was more than happy to play with Dembe although he did struggle to keep up with him.

I had the doctors at 10.10am so Jay and Dembe dropped me off and had a wander around town. He went around the market where the pet shop stall were feeding hims sausage! He also went into a friends shop, which is also great experience for him. It was very busy down the town and lots of noisy traffic. It didn’t phase him which was great as it means our early environment training has paid off.

waiting for a belly rub

We had dog training this evening, after a week of reduced barking Dembe decided to be a gobshite. In the end Martin came over and got him to be quiet. It is for attention and when he gets bored, wants you to play etc. So at dog training he hates standing around doing nothing. SO I have asked Jay in future when Martin is talking to do sit and stay exercises with Dembe. That way he thinks he is still working and he should be quiet. He never barks on a walk or when moving at dog training. It purely is a boredom thing. At home he liked to bark if he felt Jay and I were ignoring him but he has stopped doing that now.

About 20 minutes into the session the barking was under control. Dembe seems to need a 30 minute warm up before he is in the right place to learn. Which is strange as he gets a walk before he goes, I think however as he sees his mates before class maybe he gets too excited and it takes time for him to get back into the learning zone. By the end of the lesson Dembe and Jay were working beautifully together. It was so choreographed they looked like they were dancing or working to music.

I do worry that we expect an awful lot from him when he still is only a babe in arms at 15 months. Mind you however old he is he will always be our puppy.

Wednesday 4th March

Dembe decided this morning that we all needed to be out of bed at 5.45am which made him supremely popular! By 7.15am I was hanging out of my arse! He however was beside me on the sofa snoring his head off the little bugger.

I am so pleased with how he is getting on with his home cooked meals. What a joy it is now to feed him, I no longer get so stressed out and upset that he isn’t eating properly. He is looking fab and he is definitely moulting less since changing him over to the majority of his meals being fresh food.

Today Uncle Paul came over. Dembe always gets over excited when Paul comes to visit so I put him in the kitchen and shut the baby gate before letting Paul in. I kept him behind the gate until I knew he was calm. He let me down on the barking front but that was because he had slept all bloody morning and was now wide awake and raring to go.

Sleeping before Paul arrived

I got a great photo of Dembe sleeping in the afternoon

bawls out

As I crept up on him I started to take photos. This next photo as he wakes up and sees me is hilarious

Every time I look at the photo I can’t stop laughing. His face is so funny!

Thursday 5th March

Jay was on an early today so he took him on a walk around the streets, Dembe refused to go for a poo, which was a bit silly as he won’t be going out again until Jay gets home tonight. Although he does have access to the garden.

I got some sewing done in the morning but I managed to mess up my neck, so by 2pm I have a crippling headache. I can barely string a sentence together so Dembe and I went up to bed. Dembe was a super star, he was a bit perturbed by my oxygen being on for so long and came and gave my nasal cannula a good sniff. He then settled down and went to sleep on my bed.

I got up at 4.30pm as I knew Jay was coming home at 5pm. Dembe and I sat by the window.

Friday 6th March

Jay is on a late today so he took Dembe out for a nice long walk to ensure he would be ok for the rest of the day. Jay will be taking him out again when he gets home at around 10pm and Dembe has access to the garden all day.

Unfortunately at around 4.30pm Dembe starting crying and going to the front door. It was clear that he needed a poo. I am unable to walk him, I just can’t walk very far at all. My mobility scooter was in the back of my husbands car and Dembe still isn’t trained to walk alongside me, with me holding the lead. So I had no way of getting him out for a walk. I kept letting him out in the garden but it became very clear I would have to get Jay to pop home on his lunch break and take him around the block.

Jay got home and took him out for 15 minutes. Dembe had two huge dumps almost immediately, so I was right he had been complaining that he couldn’t go for a walk. When he got back from the walk I was expecting him to settle but he didn’t we ended up playing find it bunny for an hour. By the end I had him finding bunny in the washing machine drum and from the tumble dryer!

Eventually he did settle at around 19.30pm. When Jay got in he took Dembe out around the block again to ensure he wouldn’t want to get up too early.

Saturday 7th March

Jay is on another bloody late. It is quite rare that Jay works two on the bounce , I just hope Dembe doesn’t kick off tonight like he did last night.

As he was working until late Jay took Dembe out first thing and then again at 11am to ensure he had got everything out that he could. On Dembes walk he was playing with a female black Labrador that was much bigger than him and had a whale of a time.

Dembe has been very vocal today


He has always been a very vocal dog, from about 9 weeks old he was expressing himself.

We are having to stay up later than usual as I am waiting for a delivery from Hermes ( so surprised it never ever turned up). So I switched on Crufts to see what Dembe would do, as you can see it didn’t stay on for long as he insisted on attempting to talk to the dogs on the tv.


Sunday 8th March

Dembe decided we all needed to get up at 6.30am. I managed to keep him occupied for 15 minutes whilst I came to and got some fluids and meds into my system. I decided to get up and crack on with Dembe’s food preparation for the month. I may have gone slightly overboard but I want to ensure that if the Corona virus comes to this house at least Dembe has food. All it will take is food to be got out of the freezer and defrosted and he is ready to go.

Jay got Dembe out and took him up to Woodbury Castle for a nice long walk to burn off some energy. It appears to be working as he is snoring his head off beside me.

Its been crazy here only just managed to squeeze all Dembe’s meals into the freezers. At least I wont have to cook for him for quite a while !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Commencing 25th October 2021

  As we suffered a bereavement this week there won't be much of a Dembe's Diary this week. I will after this post be having a break ...