Monday 9 September 2019

Week Commencing 2nd September 2019

 

Monday 2nd September

Dembe woke us up with a start at 1.55am starting to vomit whilst stood on the bed. He is unfortunately a wanderer when puking and he managed to puke in the upstairs hallway. I managed to get that cleared up and went back to bed only to be woken up again at 2.05am with Dembe smacking his lips and drooling. I tried to get a towel under him but he moved away so I ended up letting him puke into my cupped hands, which would have been fab had he not immediately puked again half way down the stairs and once more in the lounge.

I sat up with him until 2.30am to ensure the puke party had finished, which it had. Typical Labrador though as he went straight to the fridge where he sat and begged for cocktail sausages. Thankfully he did go to bed and settle down straight away.

The good news is he has been vomit free since early this morning. He has been ravenous all day and being doing the most horrendous farts smelly and loud! One was so bad I thought he’d had the shits in the lounge.

He has been a very cuddly boy all day. He has stopped lying on the window ledge as twice last week he got himself caught up in the net curtain and manged to bring the pole down on top of himself. He then ran across the lounge with the curtain over his head and twisted over his body ( twice) so that seems to have put him off for the minute.

He was so excited for his dad coming home tonight that he leapt from one sofa to another without his feet touching the ground.

Tuesday 3rd September

Dembe woke up at 5.30am only because I was up for a wee. Jay got up and gave him his breakfast. He was ( Dembe) a bit of a pain in the arse when he came back up to bed , eventually I gave up at 6.30am and got up.

Jay was already up, so he took Dembe out to the Model Airfield where they met a Vizla , a little girl. They were both up for having a play but unfortunately her owner was in a rush so they didn’t get to play chase. He was so excited when he got back from his walk he draped himself around my neck like a scarf. He looked like he was smiling, Jay and I were in stitches at his antics.

I had physiotherapy at 11.45am so whilst I was there Jay took Dembe over to Four Firs Cross. He met up with an Airedale Terrier called Gary. Gary’s favourite game was also chase so Dembe couldn’t believe his luck. They ran each other ragged. When I got out of Physio Dembe and Jay were in the waiting room. The last time Dembe had been in the waiting room Jay had to take him out as he had whined continuously. This time he was panting but Jay got him to lie down which he did – and no whining. I had no clue they were there

He has been shattered all day after two early walks.

We gave him his weekly treat of Sardines with his dinner as he had burnt off so much energy today.

Wednesday 4th September

Dembe had his first experience of a moth today. As he was eating his breakfast in the kitchen one flew in. He was fascinated , Jay said it was just like Mollie was with moths . He was chasing it all over the kitchen. So Jay had to catch it and release it outside.

We had a very lazy day today. I haven’t been feeling particularly grabs, so we spent the day having cuddles on my heated throw. He loves the heated throw and has spent most of the afternoon draped across my legs.

He is so classy!

When Jay messaged me to say he was on his way home at the end of the day, I went and got Dembe’s car harness from the peg. Dembe ran across the lounge, jumped onto the sofa, in position for me to pop it on. He is a nightmare when Jay tries to put his harness on but for me he is an angel. Once the harness is on though all hell breaks loose as then he goes crazy with excitement and starts leaping from one sofa to another. His feet just don’t touch the floor.

This evening he had his first encounter with a spider- YUCK. He didn’t know what to make of it but he decided he would try to catch it and eat it. The spider scrunched itself up in a ball and lived to fight another day, As soon as it appeared dead DEmbe lost interest.

Thursday 5th September

Thankfully I was feeling a lot better today than I had been over the previous few days. It always amazes me how Dembe tempers his activity levels to how I am feeling. Take yesterday and Monday, I really felt rough . Dembe was content just to spend the day cuddling on the sofa. No constant demand to play with toys or throw a ball. He slept and just wanted me to make a fuss of him. Today I am feeling so much better and he is a crazy loon, charging about like a nutter. Also on the constant scrounge for food!

Everything was going so well until the early afternoon when my back went into spasm and I couldn’t move my arms. Dembe immediately stopped being a nutter and dropped his energy levels right down. For a pup that isn’t even 10 months old yet I think that is pretty incredible. He is such a special boy.

My back eased up late in the afternoon after copious amounts of pain relief. Dembe knew I still wasn’t 100% and rather than reverting to being a loon he just followed me around the house always ensuring I was never alone. As a reward for him behaving so beautifully this week in the evening we had a play on the floor in the lounge.

Friday 6th September

Its FRI-YAY!

Jay was on a late night so he took Dembe out for a walk at around 7am. The little bugger still puts up a fight or just point blank refuses to leave the house or car if he is taken out before 7am. He had a lovely run around Jay threw his rugby ball for him loads as they didn’t meet any dogs on their walk.

Dembe took ages to settle after going out for his walk this morning. He was still on a high grabbing toys out of his toy box and making a mess until 10.30am when he finally had some sleep.

Our friend Sandra popped over at midday. Dembe hasn’t seen Auntie Sandra for months due to holidays, a broken lag and an operation. She has had a really rough summer. Dembe is being quite funny with strangers or people he hasn’t seen for a little while, so he got all shy and hid behind my legs. He is definitely in a different brain development period. Dembe was fine once I gave Sandra some cocktail sausages to feed him.

After Sandra left Dembe went to sleep for the rest of the afternoon, which allowed me to crack on with some bits that I wanted to get out of the way.

He didn’t pine for Jay tonight thank goodness but just settled down and went to sleep. The last few times Jay has been on a late night he has sat downstairs by the front door waiting for him to get home.

Saturday 7th September

DEmbe was up at 5.10am for breakfast and Jay decided to stay up. As they were both up so early Jay took Dembe out at 7am to the Model airfield. Poor DEmbe was bullies by three Westies who were refusing to let him pass under the bar gate. Dembe didn’t know what to do as he had never come across some grumpy dogs before. The Westies owners moved them out of the way and told them off for being so bossy to a young pup.

The spider I thought Dembe had possibly eaten the other night made another appearance, either that or it was his twin brother. Dembe tried to eat it again, the spider was too quick and escaped. I helped it on its way.

My dad popped in at lunch time as he was dropping over a pair of pliers to me and picking up my mums birthday present. Dembe gets really over excited when he see’s my dad. I have no clue why. Jay was also here having lunch. After there visit we had a sit down as I wasn’t feeling very well I could tell my blood pressure was low. Dembe just settled right down, whilst I recovered.

I felt a bit better after some fluids and my medication so I cracked on with getting my prototype bags finished. Jay messaged me as he was leaving work and I got Dembe’s harness on. He went a bit crazy as he was so looking forward to his walk and daddy coming home.

Sunday 8th September

I woke up due to Dembe staring at me, it was 5.10am and he obviously wanted his breakfast. He had his scram and then came back up to bed. We then slept until 7am. When Dembe decided we all needed to get up as he wanted a walk. Jay had a coffee first and then took him to Woodbury Castle where he met his girlfriends the Bulldogs Milly and Mandy. Their owners were really shocked with how much Dembe has grown since they last saw him. They had a good game of kiss chase with the girls stealing his ball as always.

This morning we took Dembe over to Pets at Home and with us then to Tesco whilst me and Jay upgraded our mobile phones. He was a bit naughty in pets at home nothing major. At Tesco before we went in we put his yellow coat on to identify he is an assistance dog in training and he was an absolute angel. Its like he knows when that coat is on he has to behave. He was brilliant we were there for about an hour and he just lay on the floor or sat down. He did bark a couple of times – he really doesn’t like people staring at him! But there was no messing about, crying or just being a pain in the bum. We were both extremely proud of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Commencing 25th October 2021

  As we suffered a bereavement this week there won't be much of a Dembe's Diary this week. I will after this post be having a break ...